Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Irony

Irony is a statement or situation where the meaning is contradicted by the appearance or presentation of the idea. Irony can be expressed in many different ways. For example verbal irony,dramatic irony and irony of a situation.

Irony has existed in my life. Irony is a part of life itself. For example my friend Kristy, she's always so happy all over the place, smiling like no other and things always seem right in her life, at times I would think damn I want to be in her place, I want to be happy all day everyday and not worry about anything, because thats just how she looked. She would always come to school looking so pretty, always clean, always nice clothing , hair always done. I just thought Kristy was perfect like no other. But little did I know. One time Kristy came to school with shades and didn't want to take them of at all. I just had that feeling that she was hiding something. She tried so hard to smile and act like everything was great, but I knew things weren't right. When we were alone I decided to snatch the shades of and what I saw wasn't good. Kristy had both eyes black and blue. She couldn't hide it anymore at least not from me. She fell crying on my shoulder telling me she wasn't happy. Everyday she comes to school smiling laughing is just a front so people wouldn't know, but I had found out , and I just felt so bad . This is just so ironic to me. That appearance can lie so much, the other people that didn't know thought just like me, She had it all. But little did they know at home she had nothing. As a friend I didn't know what to do or say because I was so shocked. But this was an ironic situation in my life because she was my friend and I felt her pain. Her father abused her . That was just ironic to me, how could it be? She seemed so perfect until the true story came out.

The poem "Richard Cory" by.Edwin Arlington Robinson is a very ironic poem.This poem can relate to my experience with irony. In the poem Cory is like that boy that everyone wants to be. He has it all. When he walks all eyes are on him,he was nice a gentleman, clean favored and imperially slim. He even glittered when he walked. He was rich. The people looked upon him wanting to be in his shoes so badly. But Ricard Cory on a summer night, put a bullet threw his head. "And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,Went home and put a bullet through his head." This is ironic. How can a man so nice, so quiet, so calmed, and so rich kill himself when he had it all. We will not know. This just shows how life can be so ironic and appearance means nothing. Don't judge people by what we see because deep down we just won't know who that person is or what that person may go through.

The short story "The Necklace" by:Guy De Maupassant is ironic. This story is about a couple, this couple isn't very wealthy. The girl is a young house wife. The man goes work while she's at home cooking , cleaning etc. She barely goes out or has friends. Her husband gets invited to this big dinner party, where all the rich people will attend. He wants to take his wife, but she refuses because she has nothing to wear. He really wants her to go with him , so he gives her money to buy herself some nice clothes to wear. After she buys herself a nice dress, she see's she still needs jewlery , diamonds to make it perfect. He has no money to buy her diamonds. But she does have a good old friend that could sure help her. So when she goes to her friend and borrows this diamond necklace, she's set and happy to go. She enjoys the party, she looks beautiful all eyes on her. But one problem by the time she get's home the necklace is no longer on her neck. After a week of not finding the necklace, they lost all hopes they would have to try and buy her the same one.When they found one that could replace the other 1, it cost thirty-six thousand. They had to get it one way or another , so the husband used he last $18,000 that his father had left him and borrowed the rest. "He did borrow it, getting a thousand from one man, five hundred from another, five louis here, three louis there. He gave notes of hand, entered into ruinous agreements, did business with usurers and the whole tribe of money-lenders. He mortgaged the whole remaining years of his existence, risked his signature without even knowing it he could honour it, and, appalled at the agonising face of the future, at the black misery about to fall upon him, at the prospect of every possible physical privation and moral torture, he went to get the new necklace and put down upon the jeweller's counter thirty-six thousand francs."

  The article "The House that Slaves Built"By; Gardiner Harris,is a great article that didn't only teach me a little something that I didn't know but also shows how ironic life can be. This article is about the White House. The White House was built by crews of black laborers, both slave and free. Yet back then it was very rare to have any black people in the White House.  In the 20th century there was a taboo that forbade blacks to the White House. Some people were against that . President Franklin D. Roosevelt's wife, Eleanor, was against that and famously included blacks among her many guests at the White House.But she was criticized just like others who did the same. Bess Abell who was the secretary of the White House had found a black women crying in the bathroom. When Bess had asked her what was wrong, The black women replied "there's nothing wrong. This is the most wonderful day of my life. When I first came to Washington, I couldn't get a hotel room, and tonight, I danced with the President.' " The black women was just so happy that she got to dance with the President in the White House. It's crazy how she couldn't get a hotel room but that night she danced with the President. Those were tears of joy. The ironic part of this article is that back then blacks were taboo from the White House. Today we have a black President , living in the White House. Back then no one would of ever saw that coming.

   . Is it ironic that I posted a video about how boring and useless Facebook is on Facebook?
Readers' verdict: 93 percent not ironic; 7 percent ironic. Final verdict: Not ironic.
    Definitely it's ironic how we are saying Facebook is boring and useless but yet we are posting the vedio on Facebook. It Doesn't seem so boring and useless to me if we on it ?. Something that's useless to me I wouldn't use. Not post something about it on it. Yes this very ironic to me.
  1.. "A Nebraska teenager - dressed as a mobile breathalysing unit for a Halloween party - was pulled over on his way home and arrested for drunk-driving." I definitely believe this is ironic because she's dress as a mobil breathalysing and was drinking while driving she should already know if the cops stop her , and put her to breath on it. yShe is going to come up with level of alcohol in her system. That's just stupid and ironic.
 2.Tim Schrader, an Australian convicted in Thailand for heroin smuggling and sentenced to death, received a Royal pardon on medical grounds after contracting HIV as a result of sharing needles during his heroin use while in prison. I agree that this isn't ironic because things like this really happen. He got H.I.V as a result of sharing needles so regardless he is going to die, might as well pardon him on medical grounds and help him a little. He was still going to die regardless. So That's ironic.
3.If I have a phobia for longs words I have to tell people that I have Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia?... This is ironic and funny. If I have a phobia for long words how em I even going to say all that. People wont even understand what I'm saying they going to think Im crazy.
4......there is a song about the phobia of music? I agree that this can be ironic because if someones has a phobia for music why would they make a song about it, no one that has a phobia for music would make a song about it.



This cartoon is ironic because the guy went to the fortune teller to know about his future, but the fortune teller is asking him about his future. How ironic could that be. If I go to a fortune teller is to know what's my future looking like, not to be asked what i think its going to look like. This so ironic and funny.

In Alanis Morissette's lyrics " Ironic" I found many ironic verses. Her lyrics were very ironic to me they really conected to the word irony.
But one main verse that seem so ironic to me was the first one.
"An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think"
 I think this verse is so ironic. How could it be that when you turn 98 , so old you win the lottery and die the next day. Finally when your going to be rich you die the next day. Life can be so ironic sometimes. This verse really caught my attention, that's why I say live everyday like its your last cause you just never know when it's your turn to go.
 Another verse that is ironic is this one.
"A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think..."
More then ironic is like bad luck. I would definitely find it so ironic a no smoking sign on my cigarette break, and ten thousands spoons when all i need is a knife. Like The narrtor said a little to ironic.

The short video  shows me some irony. It talks about how a girl is saying that older people are becoming more anti-social but during a pause they show older people are riding bikes, and driving cars. That doesn't seem anti-social to me.  There are many adults riding bikes having fun. The young girl needs to learn that her way of being social by being on Facebook isn't her parents way of being social. They are different age and do different things. This short video is ironic to me because she says  how she read an article, but I just saw different. I actually saw parents riding bikes with friends enjoying themsleves. That isn't anti-soical to me.

 Irony is very important in our everyday lives. From what we eat to what we wear, to the people we even associate with. Many things can be so ironic and we wouldn't even know this. Irony is what we say, what we do, its even how we think because everyday of our lives we are doing something ironic without even realizing it. Irony is part of my life everyday. It's even ironic how on weekend I could surely wake up bright and early but on weekdays it surely is a hassle to get me up. Its ironic how that could be and I don't know why I just know it happens. Irony occurs without we even thinking of it. Its like the least things you expect to happen will happen.





















































































































































1 comment:

  1. Hello friend
    How are you Today Visit your Web Blog Page Got more Information you share Best Information my pray with you and Your Business get more success and Blessings in The name of LORD.
    thai lottery
    thailand lottery tips
    lottery tips
    pakistan bonds
    lottery

    ReplyDelete